Week 3 – Cont’d
Motivating Students
It was interesting to read about the different types of motivation
theories and models. Since my one-shots
are usually based on the information needs for a specific assignment, I assume
that the lesson has an intrinsic value for my students: If they learn the steps
of the research process I’m teaching, they will be more successful in
completing their assignment. I’ve been
counting primarily on the Relevance aspect of the ARCS model to be enough. So,
how can I use the ARCS model to provide motivation for this class?
Attention: We typically give
students a survey as they come into class asking them to complete the sentence “When
I do research, I struggle with…” What I
like to do is then scan the answers so I can reassure students those are topics
we will cover or make sure I can address their concerns in some way during
class. While it’s not a flashy idea, I’d
like to think that it helps them buy into being there. In addition, for this class, I can “set the
scene” by talking about how if they continue their interest in Sociology, they
might become research assistants and need to know these skills.
Confidence: Our Center for Teaching Excellence recently held a panel
discussion with some student peer tutors as the panelists. They reported on frustrations and concerns
the students they work with express. One of the
interesting items was that students want to be given a road map/agenda for their
classes so they will know what the most important ideas are that day. Since then I’ve added a slide with those main
points as a visual introduction to the class.
This seems to fit in with the learning
requirements aspect of this component of the ACRS model. My lesson plan also provides success opportunities by giving them a
chance to think about and assess the information in the articles they
find.
Satisfaction: Given the nature of the class, I will mostly be able to
provide extrinsic rewards by providing individual feedback during the
class. Of course I will also be
evaluating the worksheets they complete, but we don’t usually have any contact
with students after the class. I could
ask students to include their email addresses if they would like more feedback.
No comments:
Post a Comment